|Tanglewood Online Festival Enters Sixth Week|
|By Stephen Dankner, Guest Columist|
09:51AM / Tuesday, August 04, 2020
|Performances were recorded at Tanglewood's new and breathtaking spaces at the superbly designed Linde Center – a constituent part of the BSO's/Tanglewood's new entity, the Tanglewood Learning Institute (TLI)|
The Tanglewood 2020 Online Festival will enter its sixth week with an expansive range of innovative digital audio and video streams. These performances were recorded at Tanglewood's new and breathtaking spaces at the superbly designed Linde Center – a constituent part of the BSO's/Tanglewood's new entity, the Tanglewood Learning Institute (TLI). Other concerts will include performances previously recorded and archived by the Boston Symphony Orchestra at Tanglewood.
A unique, all-encompassing digital music festival, the array of programming replicates a choice selection of the previously announced 2020 live performances Tanglewood had hoped to present this summer, but which had to be cancelled due to the coronavirus.
Here is this week's schedule of streamed events, from Wednesday, Aug. 5, to Sunday, Aug. 9.
New content, recorded especially for the online festival:
• Aug. 5, 8 p.m.: Recitals from the World Stage featuring the Danish String Quartet from Copenhagen performing Shostakovich's Quartet No. 10 in A-flat, Op. 118 and a folk song arrangement to be announced from the stage, hosted by Karen Allen.
• Aug. 7, 8 p.m.: BSO Musicians in Recital featuring Bonnie Bewick, Mickey Katz and Lawrence Wolfe performing traditional, folk, and contemporary selections arranged and composed by Bewick and Wolfe themselves, as well as a performance of #cellominute – a world premiere compilation of small works for solo cello featuring works by Nico Muhly and Marti Epstein, among others. Cynthia Meyers, Robert Sheena, Michael Wayne, Richard Ranti and Jason Snider round out the program with a performance of "Umoja" by celebrated composer Valerie Coleman and works by Paquito D'Rivera, hosted by Lauren Ambrose.
• Aug. 8, 8 p.m.: Great Performers in Recital from Tanglewood featuring pianist Daniil Trifonov performing Bach's "The Art of Fugue" hosted by Nicole Cabell.
New Tanglewood Learning Institute content:
• Aug. 3, 1 p.m.: TLI Open Forum: The Roaring Twenties presents "Black & Tan Fantasies or Harlem Realities? African American Popular Dance and Early Sound Film" with Christi Jay Wells.
• Aug. 4, 10:30 a.m.: TLI Open Forum: The Romantic Spirit presents "Liszt's Double Vision, or the Gothic Liszt" with Susan Bernstein.
• Aug. 4, 1 p.m.: TLI Celebrates Beethoven presents "Resonances: The Afterlife of Opus 131" with Megan Ross.
• Aug. 5, 10:30 a.m.: TLI Open Forum: The Romantic Spirit presents "On Romantic Listening, or What We Learn in the Dark" with Gabriela Cruz.
• Aug. 6, 10:30 a.m.: TLI Open Forum: The Romantic Spirit presents "Eugène Delacroix and Romantic Musicality" with Judy Sund.
• Aug. 6, 1 p.m.: TLI ShopTalks presents composers Gabriela Lena Frank and Augusta Read Thomas in candid, informal conversation.
• Aug. 7, 1 p.m.: TLI Open Forum: The Romantic Spirit presents a panel discussion and live Q&A with scholars Susan Bernstein, Gabriela Cruz and Judy Sund.
Featured retrospective content:
• Aug. 9, 10 a.m.: Tanglewood Music Center Chamber Concerts, an audio presentation of TMC Fellows performing chamber music of Thomas Adès, Conlon Nancarrow, Ruth Crawford Seeger, Niccolò Castiglioni, Harrison Birtwistle, and Francisco Coll, hosted by Norman Fischer with Michael Gandolfi.
• Aug. 9, 2:30 p.m.: BSO Encore Performances from Tanglewood of Andris Nelsons leading Mahler’s Symphony No. 3 (August 2018) with Susan Graham, the Tanglewood Festival Chorus, and Boston Symphony Children’s Choir, hosted by Jamie Bernstein.
For more information and for prices and access to all video or audio streaming concerts, lectures and special events, go online or call 888-266-1200.