The fire at 11 Hoosac Street was snuffed out within 15 minutes.
The pet duck was unharmed in the blaze.
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — Firefighters made way for ducklings Tuesday when they snuffed out a kitchen fire and saved a pet duck.
The Fire Department responded to a call for a structure fire at an apartment at 11 Hoosac Street at about 7 p.m. After seeing smoke and confirming it was, in fact, a structure fire they called in all off-duty staff, according to Lt. Joseph Beverly.
"The fire was in the kitchen and we were able to suppress it," Beverly said. "It got up into the tiles."
The two tenants were cooking and the grease caught on fire and spread into the ceiling. Beverly said the tenants extinguished the flames from the stove but were unable to snuff out the fire in the ceiling. Firefighters extinguished that within 15 minutes, he said.
Inside the apartment firefighters found the pet duck in an upstairs bedroom. Beverly said the duck was away from any smoke or flames. The duck was carried out of the apartment and given back to the tenants.
The tenants evacuated the building in time and there were no injuries.
The apartment, one of six in the complex, is uninhabitable because of smoke damage but the remaining apartments were untouched, Beverly said. He said the damage was "minimal."
Christine Girard, property manager at Heritage Apartments, said the apartment is insured. The tenants will be relocated in a recently vacated apartment in the sister building, 21 Hoosac St.
Pittsfield.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.